Saturday, June 15, 2013

Inspiration

I'm often (always) asked at schools "where do you get your inspiration?"

With writing, it comes from the thrill of hearing and (I hope) telling an exciting story.

With drawing, it's a bit different. I try to explain to kids that my brain looks for patterns everywhere - in wood grain, in the curve of a dark hair on white tile flooring, in shadows in clothing.

I was at Hillcrest School this week, and saw a perfect example of what I'm talking about. This basketball hoop in the school gym is clearly a cat.


Here's what my brain sees... and then I just have to draw that face.



And the bars on the top could even be the antennae on an alien kitty!

It's not the only place I find inspiration, but it does illustrate the maxim that inspiration often finds you.

No comments: